Stay alert, stay alive — take care whilst cooking
Due to an increase in fires involving cooking appliances over the past couple of days Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service are warning residents to take special care when cooking.
Firefighters were called to a number of incidents last week , one of which involved unattended cooking which had caught fire and filled the premises with toxic smoke which had to be cleared by firefighters before the accommodation was safe to re-enter. Crews used a hose reel jet to extinguish another cooker fire in the same area.
After seeing an escalation in these type of incidents firefighters want to make people aware that these fires can be prevented by staying alert whilst cooking. Carrying out safety procedures before and after cooking, such as cleaning the grill pan after using and making simple changes such as using a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer instead of a chip pan can also make a real difference.
The Service has attended 51 kitchen fires across Cheshire in the last two months, over 70% of which were caused by cooking appliances.
Nick Evans, Head of Prevention, said: "Unfortunately a lot of accidental fires are started through careless cooking. A forgotten pot on a high heat or an overfilled pan of oil can quickly turn a culinary delight into a matter of life and death.
"Statistically, most accidental house fires start in the kitchen so we are urging everyone take care and take few simple steps to keep you and your loved ones safe."
Top tips for cooking include:
Always clean the grill pan after using it to avoid a build-up of fat and oil in your grill pan
Do not leave cooking unattended — a forgotten pan can lead to disaster
If cooking oil starts to smoke, it's too hot — turn off the heat and leave it to cool
Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer instead of a chip pan as they can't overheat
Keep tea towels and cloths away from grills and hobs
Don't start cooking if you have had alcohol or are really tired.
What to do if a pan catches fire:
Don't take any risks. Turn the heat off if it is safe to do so.
NEVER throw water over it. Don't tackle the fire yourself — Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999.
Steve added: "I would also urge people to make sure that they have a working smoke alarm installed. If there is a fire, a smoke alarm will warn you, giving you and everyone in your home time to escape to safety."
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Caution — Mud on Local RoadsLocal residents are being urged to drive with caution, if using the local lanes to bypass the works at Bradley Bridge instead of using the official alternative route via the A41 Trunk road.These minor roads being subjected to use by large volumes of traffic including Heavy Goods Vehicles, and large low loaders delivering mechanical diggers and building supplies to...
Help cut Christmas congestion on the Park & RideThe countdown to Christmas is well underway and the city centre is getting more crowded with shoppers and cars by the day.This festive season Cheshire West and Chester Council is encouraging visitors to the city centre to give the Park & Ride a try.The service cuts traffic queues by sailing into the city in dedicated bus lanes and passengers...
Cheshire Business Survey 2017Summary: The Cheshire Business Survey results were launched to the business community and partners at a recent event at Wyvern House, Winsford.Why we have undertaken the surveyThe Cheshire Business Survey helps us to understand the views of local businesses regarding key issues that the Council and the Cheshire and Warrington Local...
The Jubilee Hall, Malpas
Craddock Court, Malpas
Chorlton Lane Village Hall, Chorlton Lane, Malpas, SY14 7ER
High Street Church