Dog Fouling

Home » News and Events » News Room » Dog Fouling
dog fouling

Dog fouling

The Dog Fouling Order makes it an offence for a person not to remove any faeces deposited by their dog from all land which is open to the air and to which the public are entitled or permitted to have access, whether or not warning signs are displayed.

The only exception to this is Forestry Commission land or other land where the owner has given permission that faeces need not be removed. This is a boroughwide restriction (subject to the exceptions stated).

Enforcement is usually carried out by means of issuing a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN).

Despite ongoing campaigns, initiatives and enforcement, data concerning the number and nature of complaints received by the Council indicates that the failure to remove dog faeces is still an issue of concern to residents.

Information about Reporting Incidents and Complaints

Anti-Social Behaviour and Out of Control Dogs
To report incidents of anti-social behaviour, or dangerous out of control dogs, please contact Cheshire Police using the following methods:

By phone — in an emergency
If you need urgent assistance you should always dial 999. Cheshire Police aim to answer within 10 seconds.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impediment you can:
 use a text phone to call the Typetalk emergency line on 18000
 send an emergency text message — find out how to register your phone to enable this at the following address

By phone — not in an emergency or a general enquiry
If you don't need urgent assistance, or have a general enquiry, you should dial 101 (Cheshire Police's non-emergency number).

Calls to 101 cost 15 pence per call from landlines and mobiles — no matter how long you're on the phone.
If you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impediment, you can contact the police using a text phone through Typetalk for non-emergency situations on 18001101

Crimestoppers is an independent charity that works with police forces throughout the UK that people can use to pass on information about a crime anonymously. They can be contacted by telephone on 0800 555 111 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

Dog Fouling
You can report dog fouling to the Council via the following methods:
 Telephone: 0300 123 8 123
 Twitter: @go_cheshirewest
 Calling into any customer service centre.

You can request a street clean-up using the "Report It" page at or by downloading the Smyle app