Residents are urged to be on their guard against rogue traders selling double-glazing.
Cheshire West and Chester Regulatory Services Team has been made aware that rogue traders are cold calling in the area, telling the householder they are acting on behalf of the Council.
The rogue traders also suggest the resident's Council Tax may be reduced if measures to improve energy efficiency, such as upgraded double-glazing, are purchased from them.
Cheshire West and Chester Council does not sell double glazing and there is no discount given on Council Tax for improved energy efficiency.
We are very concerned that rogue traders may be preying on potentially vulnerable Cheshire West residents and urge everyone to be vigilant and not fall victim to these unscrupulous traders. If you hear of anybody in the area making this kind of claim, please report them.
We always advise residents not to agree to have any work carried out by someone who calls uninvited to their door.
If you need work carrying out to your property, make sure you shop around, get recommendations from family and friends and obtain at least two written quotations before agreeing for the work to begin.
The Council's Trading Standards officers are offering the following top tips to avoid being taken advantage of by rogue traders:
- Never agree to have work done by someone calling uninvited at your door.
- If you need work carrying out to your property, make sure you shop around, get two or three written quotations for the cost of the work before agreeing to accept one.
- Check out the trader's details, ensure that you have a full address and if possible a landline phone number.
- Don't agree to have work carried out straightaway, take some time to think about it.
- Take recommendations from friends or family who may have recently had work carried out.
Remember in most circumstances you have a 14-day cooling off period if you agree to work at your home.
For further help and advice about all consumer matters call Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506.