Priority Services Register
From: Amanda Phillips, Priority Services Lead at United Utilities
United Utilities is the water and wastewater company that serves over 7 million customers in over 3 million homes right across the North West, and we have been doing a lot over the past couple of years to improve our services in giving more support to those who need it most.
We all need a little bit of extra help at some stage in our lives. This could be due to age, ill health, a disability, mental health problems, financial worries or even language barriers.
By registering for our free Priority Services scheme, customers could benefit from additional free services from us, to support their particular needs, including:
- A free phone number connecting them to a dedicated, externally trained team, to listen, help and support
- Nominate a carer, family member or even a friend to speak to us on their behalf
- A knock and wait service, so if they have mobility needs we'll always wait, allowing them enough time to answer the door
- We'll notify them of any planned interruptions to their water supply
- Bills and letters could be printed in braille, large print or even on coloured paper
- Add a password to their account as added protection from bogus callers
- Translation services if English isn't their first language
- Help and advice if they're struggling to pay their water bill
For customers with internet access, there's even an online accessibility tool, changing the look of our website to suit their needs.
As the onus is on the customer to register, if we don't know you are experiencing difficulties, we can't help.
We are already working with many charities and organisations to help us promote the scheme, including Rural England, Age UK, MIND, Macmillan Cancer Support, Citizens Advice, Disability Awareness, Autism Together, Lancashire Fire Service and Silver Line.
We feel it's also extremely important to target our customers that live in rural areas in our region,
You don't even have to be the account holder to join and registration really couldn't be easier. You can either:
If eligible, this would provide additional support if there was ever a loss of power too — so two for the price of one!
Millmoor Farm, No Mans Heath
Jubilee Hall, High Street, Malpas