Here are some useful ways to keep you and your property safe on the street.
1. Before you go out, consider how you are going to get home, e.g. Can you travel home with a friend? What time does the last bus/train leave?
2. Prepare for your day before you leave – consider what you might need. Phone, money etc. Is your phone fully charged?
3. Update someone on your plans and if they change always make sure someone is aware of where you are.
4. Plan your journey – google street view is useful for identifying places in an unknown area before you set off.
5. When it gets dark, keep to busy, well-lit streets, walkways and paths which are more likely to be covered by CCTV.
6. Be aware when using cash point machines. If there are signs of tampering or people acting suspiciously, do not use it.
7. Try not to keep all your valuables in one place. Keep valuables such as wallets in an inside pocket and separate small amount of cash or a bankcard from your main purse/wallet.
8. Only take licensed taxis or minicabs booked by phone or a mobile phone app.
9. Installing an app such as Hollie Guard – Personal Safety App on your smart phone or consider carrying a personal alarm.
10. Confidence – You are less likely to be targeted if you look confident. Move with purpose and try to be aware of your surroundings.